Wednesday, February 13, 2008

I thought that the tips on how to write a good cover letter were helpful. I agreed with most everything in the tutorials. The tutorials spoke on how the cover letter should be personal and speak to one person in the company. I agree that this makes you stand out above other candidates if you can put yourself on a personal level with your potential employer. I also agreed that cover letters should not be sent out to every company that you apply for. This defeats the purpose of the cover letter if you send out one blanket letter to every company you apply to. I disagreed with the one part of the tutorials that spoke about adding a post script to the end of the cover letter. I believe that this makes the letter less professional. The most useful section of the tutorial was the cover letter checklist. It provides a backbone to the cover letter, and it keeps you on track when writing your cover letter. Before reading the tutorial, I was not aware that the cover letter needed to be a personal letter written to a specific person in the company. Now I can use this advice when writing my cover letter for my mock interview.

No comments: